It is surprising in this day and age to find so little is known of the detailed problems bereavement brings. Funeral customs vary greatly all over the world, but largely they have become what they are because people have decided for themselves the manner in which they wish to honour their departed ones. There seems to be a reluctance to enquire beforehand about the facts surrounding death, although it is one of the most natural happenings in life. Because of that reluctance, additional grief and mental anguish are often added to the sorrow which naturally accompanies bereavement, whether it be sudden or expected.
At Thompson Family Funeral Directors, we pride ourselves on the individual care and attention to every detail. Located in Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia. The family has grown up in the Mount Alexander area, with the first Thompson settling in Newstead in the 1850s. The Thompson family has four generations of history in the funeral industry and our business has been professionally operated for over 60 years.
- You require us to organise a traditional funeral service
- You would like a very individual and different funeral service
- You would like to arrange, (but not prepay) your funeral, with the people who will care for you at the time of your death and ensure your instructions are followed.
- You would like to put in place a pre-paid funeral plan or funeral bond
- You would like to meet with Anne and Steve and find out what options you have
- You want an efficient, courteous service and value for money
- To get a unique, informed approach to environmental funerals
- Attention and advice when you need it
- The personalised, attentive service the community has come to expect from us
- Guidance and options to make choices which suit you
- A choice of celebrants including Anne
- A choice of local venues and churches
- An individualised approach to funerals
- Respectful care of the person you entrust to us
The Thompson family are available to consult with families promptly regarding funeral arrangements 24 hours a day. Their commitment is to provide the best level of service.
What to do when someone dies
Call the Thompson Family if you would like reassurance about what to do at any stage.
If someone dies at home and the death is expected
You need to have the death verified, so call your medical professional. You may want the person to be brought to our funeral home immediately or you may want the person to stay with you for some time. If you are alone and would like us to wait with you until family members arrive, just let us know.
When you are ready, you can choose whether you would like to meet with us in your home or at our funeral home. We will then guide you as you make the funeral arrangements.
If someone dies in hospital
If the death is expected, the nursing staff will organise the necessary paperwork. We can then bring the person back to our Funeral Home when you are ready. Let us know when you are ready to begin making funeral arrangements.
If someone’s death is unexpected
If the death was not expected or was caused in an accident, the person will be transferred to the State Coroner’s Office. Although the funeral will not be immediate, it can be helpful if we meet and start to plan the funeral.